Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Research

For my last research paper, I decided to write an argumentative essay on the Death Penalty. Unlike the last two papers, I chose an issue I felt strongly about and had much to say about. As many people agree with the usage of the death penalty, I for one do not side choose to side with these individuals. The Death penalty (also known as Capital punishment) has been around for thousands of years. Capital punishment continues to be used in the United States despite controversy over its usage. There is also controversy over its effectiveness as a deterrent to serious crime. The Death penalty is the most severe form of corporal punishment.  It requires law enforcement officers to end the life of a convicted offender.  Many Americans feel that the death penalty is the “right” thing to do. These reasons range from the death penalty being used as a means of deterrence to a means of retribution. But I happen to disagree with the reasons put forth in front of me, and disagree with having capital punishment in a whole. I feel like a deterrent could be equal to life inside the prison instead of ending the criminal’s life instantly. Additionally, I feel as though the act of killing one for their crime of murder does not make that killing any more just, killing is killing.

1 comment:

  1. The only problem with keeping someone in a prison for life is it cost a lot of money. they need supplies and 3 meals a day. that cost tax payers money. If a murderer is serving a life sentence with no chance of parole, then what is the point of keeping him alive?

    ReplyDelete